Ashford Farm Cottages:
We know that dogs need holidays just like their owners, so you are welcome to bring up to two dogs, at no extra cost, so long as we are informed at the time of booking. In exceptional circumstances we may take an extra dog but this has to be agreed in advance with the owners and a charge of £25 will apply.
We are particularly suitable for a doggy holiday as our individual cottage gardens are secure (not for Jack Russells though!) and our farmland adjoins the cottages and there are wonderful forest walks nearby.
However we would ask that you would consider the following points so that our future doggy guests (and their owners!!) enjoy their holidays as much as we hope you do.
- Canine companions often love to have their own blankets with them - and humans prefer beds, sofas and chairs free from dog hairs! Therefore dogs are not allow in the bedrooms, but are allowed on the sofas so long as you use the throws (which we provide) and keep the dog from contact with the soft furnishings. We can provide stair gates in the cottages to prevent dogs entering the bedroom areas.
- In your cottage you will find a feeding/drinking bowl plus a dog towel and blanket for you dog to rest on. There is a poop scoop at the back of your cottage for use on your own lawn. If your scoop has wandered off please tell us and we will find you another one. Please dispose of poops in the outside poo-bin. We provide free poo-bags and a dedicated poo bin outside each cottage.
- In your cottage you will also find a feeding mat, a lead and a collar, dog treats and a holiday tag with our details. We also have one dog crate which has to be booked in advance.
- Please do take your dog(s) onto the farmland where they are welcome to walk the fields and orchards and can be off-lead as much as you like provided they are under your control. For ‘toilet purposes’ there is no need for a poop scoop on the fields. We do not clear up after the sheep and so you do not need to worry about your dog!! They must not chase any livestock or wildlife, so please choose a field where there are no sheep. There is always a least one field with no sheep in it. If you need to walk through a field where there are sheep, please use a lead for your dog(s). If your dog ignores the sheep then the sheep will ignore your dog. Avoid entering the two small fields where horses graze, for your own safely as well as your dog’s. A map of the farmland can be found in each cottage.
- When you bring a muddy dog back from walk, please clean them off using the hose on the outside tap and the dog towels provided. Please on no account use the white towels provided for human use.
- Dogs get lonely too, so please do not leave your dog in the cottage for a long period of time if it is likely to become agitated and bark. Your dog(s) must not be left alone with free run of the property, but must be confined to the kitchen and/or utility where there is a tiled floor. We are happy to inform you which pubs and places to visit are dog friendly so that your dog can be with you as much as possible.
- Dogs that bark continuously are not allowed as Ashford Farm Cottages because they would disturb the other guests.
- Please note that you will be liable in the unlikely event of serious damage. This includes evidence of a dog having been in a bedroom, scratched doors or chewed items.
There is an excellent pet shop opposite the Co-op store in Ludlow.
It is called: C. W. A. Cycles & Pet Supplies, 12 Upper Galdeford, Ludlow, Sy8 1QD. Tel: 01584 87569. They deliver to Ashford on request.
Also there is a ‘Pets at Home’ store in Ludlow, opposite the Squirrel Pub close to the roundabout on the A49 Ludlow bypass nearest to Ashford Farm. They sell pet food, toys, equipment and insurance. Address: Unit 1 Foldgate Lane, Ludlow SY8 1LS.
Phone: 0845 604 1174
www.community.petsathome.com/stores/ludlow/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Local Ruby at the dog show
For Ruby we use the Marches Veterinary Group www.marchesvets.co.uk Coronation Avenue, Ludlow. Tel :01584 87787. If you go into Ludlow via Ludford Bridge, follow the main road through the town. Go straight on at the traffic lights by Tesco and the road will then bear to your left. Continue for approximately 300yrds and you will see a bungalow on your right which is the surgery. For an out of hours emergency phone: 01584 612266, which is the number for their main surgery at Ryelands Orchard, Leominster, Herefordshire HR6 8PN.
For a selection of local Dog Friendly pubs see:
Dog friendly cafes:
The Green Cafe: One of our favourite haunts. Dogs are welcome on the terrace overlooking the river Teme. The terrace has a canopy during poor weather. www.ludlowmillonthegreen.co.uk/tearooms.aspx
Ludlow Castle Tea Rooms: Also a great place. Dogs are allowed in a designated area within the cafe where it is warm, or on the patio overlooking the castle. See www.ludlowcastle.com/tea_room
Ludlow Castle itself is dog friendly and it is one of Ludlow’s ‘must see’ attractions. www.ludlowcastle.com
We hope that you and your dog have a very enjoyable stay at Ashford Farm!
Ruby leaping over a stile!